Town Officials

Selectboard Meeting Minutes

Hancock Current Newsletter

Planning Board

School Board

Police and Fire


Code Enforcement


Flood Hazard Mapping Information

Recreation Committee

Community Channel

Animal Control

Solid Waste/Recycling

Shellfish Ordinance



Community Calendar




When is town hall open?
Monday through Thursday, 7:00am - 4:00pm. Fridays 7am - 11am.

How do I contact the Town Office?
You may reach us by phone at 422-3393, by fax at 422-6705, by e-mail at townofhancock@roadrunner.com or through the feedback form on this site.

Where is the Town Office located?
The Town Office is located at 18 Point Road. Coming from Ellsworth, you will turn right onto the Point Road about 1/2 mile after Hancock Grocery and we are less than 1/2 mile down on the left. From Sullivan you will turn left after Hancock Homes and take another left at the stop sign. We are located straight ahead on the left.

When is trash pickup?
Trash is picked up curbside every Tuesday. If a major holiday such as Christmas or Labor day falls on a Tuesday, pickup will be Wednesday.
A trash sticker is required on each bag of trash. Bags can weigh up to 40 pounds. Please have bags curbside by 7:00am.

How much are trash stickers?

Trash stickers are $1.50 each

Where can I purchase trash stickers?

Stickers can be purchased at the Town Office and at Hancock Grocery.

Does the Town have a recycling program?
Yes. You may bring your recyclables to Coastal Recycling on Franklin Road Wednesday to Saturday between 8:00am and 4:00pm. Lists of acceptable recyclables can be picked up at the Town Office, downloaded off the website, or found in an issue of the Hancock Current.

What can I bring to the Transfer Station?
Things such as glass (broken car windows & mirrors) old furniture, mattress, plaster, sheetrock, etc. that originate within the Town of Hancock can be disposed of at the Tranfer Station. Any resident wishing to use the Transfer Station must posess a yellow resident transfer station card. These require a signature and can be picked up at the Town Office free of charge.

Some items have a disposal fee. Please review the Transfer Station User Guide for costs associated with use.  All charges are payable by months end at the Town Office. If not paid by the end of the month a bill will be sent and a $2.00 billing fee added. Any invoices left unpaid for 90 days will result in termination of your privilege to use the Transfer Station until all invoices are paid.

Does my dog need to be registered and how often?
All dogs over 6 months of age must be registered at the Town Office. The fees are $6.00 for spayed/neutered dogs and $11.00 for unaltered dogs.

Dogs are required to be registered every year between October 15th and February 1st. If your dog has not been registered by February 1st a $25.00 late fee will be added to the registration fees per dog.

Residents who do not live in Hancock year round still need to register their dogs with the town if they are here more than 10 consecutive days in any calender year.

What will the excise tax be on the vehicle I just purchased?
We do not quote excise tax over the phone. However, if our time allows, we may do so.  We will not do quotes over the phone the week preceeding or after any election, local or state.  You may bring your paperwork in and we can run the information to tell you what it will cost but you must be present in the office to do this. If you do not want to come in before you are ready to register you can use the following table to calculate the excise tax yourself:

You will need the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) of the vehicle (This is NOT the purchase price) and the year of the vehicle.  You can find the MSRP on the window sticker, and sometimes on the blue title application.  If you use the window sticker you can subtract the 'destination fee' from the MSRP as we do not assess tax on that amount. 

*Example- MSRP $40,000.00 with a destination of $1,500.00= $38,500.00 taxable.

To calculate the estimate of your excise total, please see the chart here.

Please keep in mind that excise tax is only a portion of what you pay to register a 'new' or 'new to you' vehicle.  If you are transferring old plates, you MUST have the registration from those plates.

Registration fee for standard cars and trucks is $35.00
Title application fee is $33.00
Agent fees are $3 to $4 depending on what town office you visit.
Sales Tax is 5.5% of your purchase price.

What do I need to register my vehicle?
A re-registration
(one that has been registered by our office before) only requires proof of insurance.
If you are registering a vehicle previously registered in another town we will need proof of insurance as well as the old registration for vehicle information.
For a private sale vehicle - first registration- You will NEED the bill of sale, current insurance, title application for any vehicle year 1995 and newer, and a sales tax form. These forms are available in our office.
For a dealer sale vehicle - first registration- You will NEED proof of insurance, the paperwork showing sales tax has been paid, the blue title application form showing proof of application for title in your name.
If you intend to use plates you already have you MUST bring the old registration that goes with those plates. We have to have it to transfer any credit. If they are already expired the old registration is helpful but not necessary as long as you know the plate number and class code.

What is the number to the Hancock Post Office?
 Hancock Post Office is 422-6259

Can I pay my taxes in payments?
We will always accept payments toward your tax bill. Even if the bill has not yet been issued, payments will show as a credit on your account and be reflected on your tax bill when it is mailed in August.

How do I get a vital record?

For marriage records- you had to have lived in Hancock OR filed in Hancock OR got married in Hancock. 

For Birth records- These are filed where the mother lived, and in the town the child was born.

For Death records- These are filed in the town the person died, and the town they lived.

Written applications and proof of current state issued non expired ID are required. Click on the type of record for the application.  You MUST be ON THE RECORD in order to be found eligible to get copies.  If you are not on the record you must prove genology.

What if I have a complaint?

Has your mailbox been plowed over?  Do you experience issues with traffic noise/speed? Do you have a concern for a road issue like potholes or backed up culverts? Are you being bothered by stray animals or maybe your neighbors pet likes to visit?  Let us know, so we can help you.  Fill out the complaint/suggestion form here and email it to us at hancocktownclerk@hancocktownoffice.com, drop it off, or put in the mail. 

Tax Assessor Tom Edwards

Mr. Tom Edwards will be taking more pictures this spring to keep all accounts as up to date as possible. If you see him around he is just photographing. You do not need to be home when he comes by and he will not be stopping at every residence. Only those that need updated pictures.

If you would like to speak with Mr. Edwards you may call the office and make an appointment for his next in office day. In the winter months he is only here once a month. In the summer he is typically here once a week.

Home | Town Officials | Selectboard Meeting Minutes | Hancock Current Newsletter | Planning Board | School Board | Police and Fire | Assessing | Code Enforcement | Ordinances | Flood Hazard Mapping Information
Recreation Committee | Community Channel | Animal Control | Solid Waste/Recycling | Shellfish Ordinance | News | FAQs | Community Calendar | Policies | Feedback

© 2005 - 2017 Town of Hancock, Maine. All Rights Reserved. Site powered by datAvenger Municpal Edition
developed and hosted by sephone internet solutions.